Saturday, October 15, 2011

From Pompey to North Hants


What’s this? Two posts in one week? Shocking! This could be the start of something new... (BAM! You’ve been High School Musicaled!)
This week has felt very long but in a good way. It’s been so busy that I don’t see how it has fit into 3 days.
Monday: Work was fine. Again, nothing that exciting.  Lovely Ashley came by and we went for lunch at Delaney’s, which is a teeny shop tucked behind the Sports Hall. It’s very nice to get away during the day, even if it’s just for an hour.
Tuesday: Bible study night! It really is becoming the highlight of my week. We are still continuing our study of Abraham, and the journey of his faith. I never really think of the Old Testament as having many life lessons that apply for me today, and I don’t think I am the only one. But I am being proven wrong every Tuesday. I am discovering so much more about the trustworthiness of the promise of God, His everlasting faithfulness, and the joys, comfort and safety that come from following him. I am learning so much – I definitely process things best out loud, so having the opportunity to sit and discuss the Word with a group of like-minded people is such a blessing. I brought the rest of my SECOND pumpkin pie (it might be an acquired Canadian taste), and it was a wonderful night, as always.
Wednesday/Thursday: Netball tournament! What an exhausting and fun time! The GDST had a Trust Sports Rally up in Northampton, and girls’ schools from all corners of the country came to participate. The competitions were Netball, Swimming and Hockey (and when they say hockey here, they mean field hockey). 28 girls and 5 members of staff (myself, Sarah Spender, Lorraine Divilly, Sue Nelson, and the hockey coach, James Dancey) piled onto a bus at 4pm and drove four hours up the country. We stopped about half way there at IKEA for dinner (I honestly didn’t know they served food there) and some of the girls had their first IKEA experience, and went a bit crazy. The staff weren’t much better  - some of us played with the animal hide carpets. There are pictures to prove it. After a very filling meal (it’s probably important to mention that I’ve eaten about 100 pounds of chocolate at this point), we continued on our way up to Northampton and to the Travelodge. I roomed with Sarah, and we had a wonderful  time, patrolling the halls and telling girls to be quiet. Some of the girls had bought matching onesies – love it!
The next day was tournament day! We got the girls up and ready to go by 8am, and headed over to Buddy’s American Diner for breakfast. The British staff could not get over how big the portions were – I had to keep telling them that it was normal. A few of them made the ‘no wonder they are so fat’ comment! After stuffing their faces with carbs and syrups, we carted them off to their respective sports. I was spending the day with netball team, and it was great! The girls played around 8 matches, and they played really well. They won about half of their games, and they lost by no more than two (except for one game, and the opposing team went on to win the tournament). It was so much fun getting to know the girls – I officially know all the names of the netball team. They are quite funny, and I had a good time. The only blot on the tournament was a girl who passed out on the concrete pitch, got knocked out, woke up and had a fit!
At the end of the day, we loaded back on to the bus and trekked home. I was absolutely beat by the time I got home, but it was so much fun!
Tonight is going to be nice evening – Skype with Robyn, movie with Ashley and Friday Fridge at church. At some point, I’ll catch up on sleep and it will be glorious!

1 comment: