Monday, January 9, 2012

Back in the new old swing of things...



Back to work at the start of a brand new term. There are LOTS of changes happening in my life (some of them were my decision, others were not).  I honestly can’t remember what I’ve told everyone, and what I haven’t, so I am just going to tell all of you everything! I could use LOTS of prayer that I am able to handle each transition with grace.
1)     I’m moving! There are two new girls coming to work at the high school, and we will all be living in a little house right next door to work... I’m talking a 10 second walk, which means Sarah can start doing her hair again (I’m not vain at all lol). It is technically four stories, although the top story is a single room. The main floor contains a lounge, a kitchen, and a little bathroom. The kitchen connects to a patio out back. The second floor has a couple of bedrooms (both ensuite) and the biggest one with the biggest closet has been claimed by yours truly. The third floor is another bed and bath and then we are at the top again. It’s quite lovely – completely redone on the inside. I am going to miss living with the Coopers so much – they are such lovely people. But in every other way, this is so much more convenient. Please pray that my new roommates and I will develop strong friendships and ,through respect, have a really positive living experience.
2)     My work life: I will be permanently based up at the Senior school location. I was given the option to either do full-time Junior school, full-time PE or full-time Senior. To be honest, both PE and Dovercourt are where I have the best times. But I am NOT gifted in PE (as many of you will know) and I don’t know even know what some of these British games are. So I decided that either Gemma or Amy (the new girls who are both good at sports) would be better in that department. I also decided against staying at Dovercourt, simply because I know I don’t want to work in an elementary school as a job. That leaves me with the Senior school. I have to be honest and say that I am kind of scared I made the wrong decision. My hope is that I’ll be able to do some really challenging admin and projects, and those skills will really add to my CV. I did pray on it, and I felt good at the time I made the decision, but I’ve been second-guessing myself since then. Please pray that I will be challenged and strengthened through the work I do, and that I will serve joyfully in WHATEVER task I’m given.
3)     Church. SO BUSY. So good.  Three things fall under the umbrella of church. 1) House group. We are currently doing a study of Ruth, which I am really looking forward to. 2) Be Group – the 16-18’s youth group that I am helping to lead. I am SO excited for the potential of this group, and it will be great to see where God takes us. I am leading a small group within the main group, and I really pray that God will develop some very strong friendships and connections so that we can all have wonderful fellowship. 3) Confirmation class: I thought that these were over, but we are back in! I love the learning that I get from this group, in terms of preparing and studying the Bible and coming up with little lesson plans. Most of these teens are about 14 years old, which is where the church Sunday school programs stop. But they can’t join Be Group until they are 16. So there is this 2 year gap  where these kids kind of fall between the cracks, and it really breaks my heart. I know one boy has twice said now that they have no one to talk to ... and I think when a guy says that, it’s serious.  I was listening to a sermon from Adore where Andy talked about calling, and how the need is the calling. If you can spot a need, then you have found your calling. Otherwise, why else would the need be revealed to you? As a general rule, my heart really goes out to boys in these circumstances. I think nowadays, there is SO MUCH support and encouragement for girls to succeed (maybe to make up for the days of patriarchal societies) and there are groups and friends and outlets for them all along the way. But I feel like boys are sometimes just left to get by and figure it out on their own, because they’re boys... they’re tough and unemotional, right? But if one stereotype changes, it is only fair that the other does as well. SO – Please pray for my house group, and that I will learn and be strengthened in my faith. Please pray for Be Group as the leaders try and find a program that will really address the faith questions, issues and concerns that the youth have on their heart. And please pray for the kids who don’t really have a group of their own, and that if there is anything I can do, that the Lord shows me how (and gives me time!).
4)      Healthy: I have joined the gym!! England has not been kind to my waistline, and so I have now joined the Pyramids centre. The membership includes the gym, spa, pool and all the fitness classes (which was the real selling point). I have been scheduling in gym visits for four times (including classes like Pilates and Zumba). I’ve also been really making an effort to eat incredibly healthily. My problem is that once I have one treat, that’s it. One and one hundred are the same in my eyes. So it is actually easier for me to have nothing than to have one cookie and stop. My schedule is also so crazy now that I really need to be eating for energy!
Monday: Work from 8:30 – 5. Gym from 6-8 (incl class). 8pm – Be Group work
Tues: Work. House group – 7:30
Wed: Work. Gym – 7:15 – 8pm.
Thurs: Work. Be Group – 7pm
Fri: Work. Gym: 5:30. Confirmation planning
Sat: Gym: 10:15. Spirit and Sport work
Sunday: Church – 10:30. Confirmation: 1pm. Church- 6:30 (sometimes)
 Please pray I develop self discipline- I really have none.
5)     Faith:  The majority of my New Year’s resolutions revolved around my relationship with God: where I am now and where I want to be. A few of you were sent those resolutions, and as they are quite personal, I’m not going to post them here. But I have sort of been feeling a bit apathetic regarding my faith lately and it’s draining, especially when I have responsibilities at church. I know that my primary calling is simply to be with Lord, and my secondary calling is to be with His people. So this is where I REALLY need prayer. Please pray that this apathy is shaken off. Please pray for energy and excitement about this next year and about how God can use me. Please pray that my life can really be about sharing and showing the love of Christ, and that my relationship with Him is my number one priority. Please pray that God blesses me with a few Christian friends, who I can just talk with and connect with really easily.
Miss and love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment