Monday, September 26, 2011

20 days in and surviving!

Well, I'm doing a lot better than surviving. Portsmouth is quickly becoming my home for the next year, thanks to a new church, work, friends and the wonderful Coopers. I really should try and blog every night - that way, I won't flood you with writing.

Monday (Sep 19): Was completely uneventful. I definitely had a few homesick moments, but watching lots of Downton Abbey did the trick. PS - Downton Abbey is probably the most amazing TV show on Earth. It takes places in WW1 era, and it follows this rich family and all of their servants. Ok, it sounds frivolous, but it is basically a period drama and the entire country of Britain is hooked. Check out an episode - that amazing house is in my county! So I will be going to find it shortly.

Tuesday: It was very uneventful in terms of work, but I went to my first Bible study session that evening. After rushing to make it their by 7:30pm, I arrived at a dark house. It turns out that I was the first one there. Apparently when Charlie said '7:30pm', he forgot to add the 'ish' on the end. But people quickly arrived and I had such a lovely evening. Everyone was really nice - most were older than me (engaged, pregnant etc) - but the whole night was such an answer to prayer. It was really simple - we prayed, read and discussed Genesis 15, and prayed some more. It was exactly what I have been searching and praying for, and I really feel like I left the study understanding more of God's Word than when I went in. So this will become a regular part of my life.

Wedneday/Thursday: I lump these two together because on both days at school, PHS hosted something called 'Tech Day'. Year 6's and Year 8's (on different days) divide into teams, and spend the entire day designing, building and presenting turbines that could ideally draw water out of the ground in Ethiopia. My job was basically to walk around, and be an extra pair of hands. On Wednesday, we had Year 6 girls from 10 different schools come, and they all did incredibly well. On Thursday, every team (except for one) was from PHS, and I gotta say, the Year 6's cleaned their clocks. They didn't have a grasp on the concept of time management, and by the end of the day, the claws were coming out. But it was great for me - a very easy couple of working days.

Friday: Work was uneventful, and I spent the evening finishing Season One of Downton Abbey! (Again, you guys - so good!)

Saturday: So much fun and so girly! At noon, I met up with Tahnee (an Australian girl who is working at the school with me ) and Ashley (a girl from Mississippi who is here for a few months working with Spirit and Sport ministry, run out of St. Jude's). We bussed down to the main shopping area in Portsmouth on Commercial Rd (think H&M, Top Shop, New Look. Then think of me only buying a cardigan and a scarf for 16 pounds all together and be impressed!). I was in heaven - I can't let myself go back. Then after a quick stop at home to change, we went out for dinner with Louise (the Admissions Officer at work - 24 and so lovely) at this fancyish pub called One Bar. Afterwards, we went to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. EXCELLENT. Gary Oldman is incredible. It's a quiet film, but after a bit, it gets very intriguing. So good. And I have to say, Ashley is lovely. She is here until December, and she is so grounded and passionate about what she is doing here. I'm really hoping that we will become good friends!

Sunday: Another lovely (and fattening!) day. I went to church at 10:30 with Ashley, and Chris Cox (he runs Spirit and Sport, and she is staying with his family). The service was good - Michael spoke about worship and discipleship. Afterwards, I talked to Michael about getting more involved with the church (yay!), and then Chris invited me for lunch. He is a lovely man, and he would be the first to say that he can not cook. So Chris, Ashley and I had fun making ... I think they are called Jacked Potatoes? We taught him things like piercing the potato before putting it in the microwave, and wrapping them in tinfoil. Chris is such a faithful man, and his ministry is all about building relationships and tearing down the stigma associated with church. After lunch, I spent a few hours in Costa Coffee (eating treats) and reading Mere Christianity (again). What a powerful book.
When I arrived home, the Coopers were doing a traditional English tea because Daisy is leaving tomorrow (no!). So I was already stuffed, but I managed to eat cake and crumpets (and I really mean I managed happily). Once I was so full that I couldn't move, I dragged my butt back down to church for the 6:30 service, and am SO glad I did. It was a very relaxed, simple service. They had a guest pastor named Charlie, and she did a really thought-provoking talk about vocation, and I really felt convicted listening to her. It was such wonderful worship, and I left feeling so close to God. I talked with Michael (he's the vicar. I'm still getting used to using that word) some more about getting involved, and there are a couple of ministries I'm really interested in. More on that later. Ashley and I got Indian food after church, and then I rushed home by 9 to watch the new episode of.... (yes, you guessed it) Downton Abbey!

Work this week promises to be crazy. The school's Open Day is this Saturday (it's a recruitment/promotional day) and they are keeping me very busy. On top of that, Tahnee is away sailing with some girls for the week, which leaves me to handle things on my own. On top of THAT, I think I'm getting sick. So I could use prayer and happy thoughts - for health energy, productivity, and flexibility.

Future plans: This Friday night. Barn dance at the church. I can't wait. In a couple of weekends, I think I'll be going to London with Ashley and Tahnee. And Chris has offered to take Ashley, Tahnee and I to Oxford for a day. ALSO - not next week but the following, I'll be going on an overnight sports tournament with some of the girls. So if anyone knows anything about scorekeeping for field hockey, I could use some advice.

I love and miss you all! Go watch Downton Abbey right now!!!

1 comment:

  1. Top Shop! New Look! Aaaaaah!!! (Actually I think Vancouver is getting a Top Shop, woohoo!)
    Also: BARN DANCE bahaha! That sounds hilariously fun.
    So glad you're doing well <3

    ReplyDelete