Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"You alright?"

This phrase is being tossed around all the time, and it seems to mean a whole variety of things. It covers "how are you?", "can I help you?", "what are you doing?" etc... There are so many little phrases and mannerisms that are different here in the UK. So far my favourite has been "poor little sausage" (a secretary talking about a crying girl).

2 days of work done! Yesterday, the business manager at PHS (Portsmouth High School) was lovely enough to pick me up, and thank goodness for that! Portsmouth, and all of England, got the tail end of a hurricane yesterday, so there was so much rain and the strongest wind I have ever experienced. Anyways, yesterday was a whirlwind of tours, inductions and SO  many introductions. I was feeling quite overwhelmed by the end of the morning. I had woken up quite homesick, so I was already starting off on the wrong foot. But by the late morning, I just started to go around to the different teachers I was working with, and familiarized myself with all the machines. For all my lovely Belfry babes, you should SEE these photocopiers (that's right -plural!) They are beautiful and complicated and new. I'll send you pictures! YOU CAN SEE THE SCREENS! Lunch is not bad at the school - definitely cafeteria food. I'll have to find some creative ways to eat healthy.  Overall, I spent the day doing little bits of everything. I started off in the Senior/6th form school. I did a bit of office work (something I'm familiar with) here - nothing drastic. After lunch, I headed over to the Junior school (which is PINK!), and worked on the playground, reception (kindergarten) and music. Each staff member has been perfectly lovely - I must say, the Headmistress at the Junior school was so nice I wanted to cry. She kept checking in, made sure I was taking time for myself and not getting too overwhelmed. The Junior school is beautiful - it is an old mansion that has been remodeled, so it is very light and airy with HUGE windows. The senior school was probably built in the 70's, with lots of fluorescent lighting. But the campus and grounds are quite nice. It's actually quite large - it sprawls down one block, but all you can see from the street are little shops. So it's nicely tucked away. Everything is coded - there are staff and student codes, depending on where you are trying to go. The ladies in the office are quite young - between 21 to 26- and are all lovely. At the end of work yesterday, we all went out to the pub for a bit of wine. It was right across from the ocean and it was so nice. Although we walked through the hurricane winds - you literally had to lean to keep moving, and at times you couldn't even move. When I was walking to the Junior school in the afternoon, a little old was sort of clinging to the wall of a building. I felt so bad for her - but as I could barely move myself, I wasn't much help.

Luckily, today was mostly sunny! Work was much better - I really hate being new again, but I feel much more confident today, and it's nice to start working on a computer program that is different from TM (again, to my Belfry babes). Today was relatively uneventful, although I met a lovely and enthusiastic woman named Sarah (go figure) in her 60's who is going to take me to church with her on Sunday (SUCH an answer to prayer!). And this Friday, I'm accompanying some staff and the Year 7 girls on a bonding trip. Year 7 is the first year at the Senior school, so this will be really good for them!

On that note, the girls are the cutest things. Especially the smallest ones, with their adorable little accents and NAME (Phoeben, Imogen, Ellie, Pippa... too much!). They are all really respectful and sweet. They also go on amazing trips (Barbados, New York, Chile, Berlin, France, Japan, Australia etc). They go everywhere - hopefully I can chaperone on one or two! So far, I would say this school is going to be a good fit for me!

Sorry for the jumbled mess that is this post. I just type down whatever pops into my head - I'll get better at this, I promise!

I miss and love you all! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment